Tuesday 11 January 2011

Initial FMP Statement of Intent

New Concept statement
Design for print with a focus on illustration, craft and pattern.

Subjects

Dancing:
Ballroom dancing, a personal interest and hobby. I find this topic really interesting especially as people see this style as old fashioned, I could see this taking a promotion or informational route.

Pattern:
Shapes, repeat, flowers, doodles. For fabric and paper based work. This type of work I find really interesting as a source of experimentation particularly for use on home home ware items and fabrics.

Cooking:
Recipes, unhealthy eating/obesity, making/growing food, healthy eating. This type of work would probably follow promotion and packaging based briefs.

Themes

Children:
Design for children, adds an element of fun and freedom to my work.

Humour:
Where appropriate, this adds something new to my work and keeps its light hearted. I dont enjoy creating serious work and when I do I feel it is a poor standard.


Design Disciplines

For my FMP I want to focus on pattern and illustration based work, that meets a professional selling point standard. This will include a continuous exploration of surface pattern and shape, I want to explore the use of line in illustration and how this can be combined with pattern to develop new and exciting patterns. This style of work could be applied across a range of products, from fabric, paper and 3d. I intend for all my briefs to have a printed solution as close to a mock up of the real life product as possible, this will have an emphasis on design for print a key part of my concept statement.

Practical Skills

The main skill I feel is a necessity for my development in this module would be to firstly explore and secondly put this into practise - to make my products as close to the real thing as possible, especially when it comes to packaging. In order to develop this I must research as many possible similar products as possible and look at the shop/ web they are intended to be sold on and match the necessary information/logos.

To enhance my presentation skills, for my boards and portfolio, I will firstly research how professional designers whom do similar work to myself present their work to clients and find what they feel are the best layout and presentation methods for the particular type of work. Secondly I shall work on and develop new/more knowledge on photography and the SLR camera as my knowledge is currently very limited.

Design Context

I intend to focus on the designers and illustrators listed on my ppd blog to help focus my direction and gather information which will help my design practise for my FMP. These designers will have a strong sense of hand made craft, illustration and pattern. These are the areas I intend to focus on for my FMP and are relevant to my current practise, they will help with my investigation into producing high quality finishes.

Some of the designers I will be using:

Rob Ryan, Kate Slater, Lilla Rogers and Claire Coles.

Brief Ideas.

Book Covers
A brief redesigning a collection of book covers for famous fairly tales and fables. It will be designed for a limited edition range and be aimed at collectors rather than children.

Dinner Set
A brief designing a pattern to be used across a selection of pottery for a dinner set.

Cushions
A selection of interior high end cushions to be used in the home. This brief will allow for experimentation with print methods.

Learning to love you more
A personal brief, looking at past experiences and how you could go back in time and leave a message what would you say? Potential for a hand crafted book looking at paper folding and concertinas.

No comments:

Post a Comment