Monday 4 April 2011

Witworth Art Gallery

Today I went to the Whitworth gallery in Manchester, they have a collection of rare wallpapers that I really wanted to see, especially since finding out about the different print methods which have progressed through time, I thought it would be really interesting to see these for myself.

This first image is a wallpaper six meters long, created by the artist Valerie Sparks - El Dorado Springs, it combines images from America, Europe, Asia and Africa. The digitally manipulated photographic print is inspired by French wallpapers from the 1800's. To look at the style and print of this wallpaper looks much older that the actual age of 4 years, obviously this is intentional however I did feel the overall quality was quite poor in comparison to some of the much older wood blocked wallpapers.





No comments:

Post a Comment