Saturday 12 March 2011

Adding colour

I have decided to initially start this brief with the wallpaper using wheel patterns, a second decision I have made at this point is that this wallpaper will be the digitally printed wallpaper. I felt it was important to make this decision at the beginning of the design process and it would determine many decisions I make in the development of this wallpaper. The colours I below I have literally chosen for experimental purpose, I have no clear direction at this point and I feel, the colour experimentation will help me choose a direction and further context in terms of a 'theme' for this wallpaper.


These first colours are very warm and summery, these immediately remind me on the sun I really like how these colours are working together because them draw you completely away from the tyre shape and feel it has. However in terms of theme for a wallpaper, I am not drawn towards 'sun' theme this could steer me in the complete wrong direction and end up looking very old fashioned, I want my designs to have a light and modern feel to them.


I really like the combination of colours used here, the mint greeny background completely changes the colour scheme from it being all pink and girly. It introduces a completely new colour concept to the image, making it a possible pattern for use across a number of rooms and a wider audience. In terms of a theme, at this point for this colour scheme nothing comes to mind, however further experimentation with this colour scheme would be really beneficial.


The above colours work well but some adjustments to the shades would definitely help improve the over all composition. The colours are very typical of household wallpaper, which is not something I want to steer towards. I don't want to create something similar to what is already on the market, especially as this is a digital print I wont be able to use special inks to help the design stand out.


This colour scheme is very calming and again similar to another above moves completely away from tyres and wheels, which is definitely something I need from my design. A theme of the seaside comes to me when I look at this pattern, i'm not exactly sure how this could be developed into a wallpaper, but I do feel this theme would be aimed towards a much younger audience than I was initially looking at.


I really like these colours, they are very fresh and I feel a very contemporary theme of trees would work really well with this. Although this is green I also feel this pattern would be really strong used as a flower. This would need more development to see if a theme like this would work, especially as the shapes aren't obviously flower related so the relationship between the two would need to work.


I really don't like the combination of these colours, they are really dull working together individually I feel they would be much more successful which is something I want to look further into as I really like the use of pale pastel colours for a wallpaper, it creates a much more delicate and expensive look.

No comments:

Post a Comment