Wednesday 9 March 2011

Design development

I have jumped straight into design ideas and instead of looking at the elements separately I have decided to look at colour, type and layout all in one for each design.

This first design looks at the illustration encasing the type, I wouldn't necessarily say they work together fluidly however they don't look completely wrong together. For this design to be stronger and have a fluidity between the type and image I would want to re draw the vines around the type this way they would work together rather than apart. In terms of colour, I really like the introduction of green, its not automatically a colour I would associate with the book, but it helps keep the image looking fresh.


I really like the type on this design, it works with the idea of type as image which is something I was looking to achieve, however it looks as though it has just been placed on top of the vines, these do not work together at all and completely ruin the beauty of the the type. Perhaps the introduction of a background colour would help? However this design already has 3 colours and adding 4th I feel would over complicate the simplicity I want to achieve.


I did mention on the previous post I wasn't sure how I could introduce type into this illustration, this does blend together quite well, but the type doesn't sit right, the style isn't correct for this design, so I will have to experiment with looking at different styles if I want to move forward with this design. In terms of colour scheme I much prefer the paler peach colours to the brighter orangey colours for the background illustration, it helps the type stand out without it standing away from the design.


This design I wanted to look at introducing something a little different to the design, here in the peach however I really don't like it, it doesn't fit in with the style of the type and the vine illustrations. In terms of the type this fits much better with the vines than the above and again the combination of pale green and peach works really well.


Instead of laying the type directly on top of the illustrations I tried to work the designs around the type, again for this work I would have to re draw the veins so they fit much better around the type. However in terms of the below type face its too fussy to work with the detailed vines, they work separately from one another, this is probably my least favourite design of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment