Thursday 14 April 2011

The Witches book covers

I found this cover quite hard to pick colours for as the story line is quite scary and I haven't read the book but I have seen the film so I wanted to try and portray the scary edge through the colour but still keep it quite playful as the book is for children.

The first colour I used a green, for some reason when I think of witches I think green, but this is probably too friendly and light. But anything else in green would be too dark to for the type to lay on. I do like the bluey grey used on the back cover and on the mouse this works really well its not too harsh but still captures the character of a mouse. In this cover the pink of the ears nose and tail would be foiled.


When I look at this cover I definitely don't see the story line though the colours, this was my experimental colour, I also much prefer the layout of the above cover with the larger mouse covering the page and the addition of the prize the story won.


Although I said earlier I dint want to use colours that were too dark, I felt it necessary to see if this worked, especially as the story line is quite dark and scary. This dark grey works really well with the type and image on the cover, it helps the title stand out against the background, where I feel it is almost swallowed up on the previous 2. I experimented with the the layout I preferred and the combination of these and the colours work really successfully for this cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment