Thursday 14 April 2011

The Giraffe The Pelly and me book covers

There wasn't necessarily an item or character in this book I could use that wasn't titled in the book, so I choose to use the giraffe as it had the most interesting and useable shape for the title. I am really happy with the outcome of the type and image working together. The below designs i have left black on the areas on the giraffe which I will foil, in this case I have left these areas black so not yo confuse which areas I would/not be foiling.

I love the layout on this cover, it works really well because it covers the right amount of space without it looking too empty, which is the case for some of the designs. In terms of colour, I like the orange background but I don't feel it works well with the colour used on the legs, however my intention for foil colour here was a golden yellow, so perhaps this colour would not look so out of place once the foil has been introduced. To help improve this design I would only consider changing the background to make it lighter. I also need to look at the layout on the back page as it all looks a little too cramped.


This colour scheme works much better I love the background colour working with the type, these are the perfect colours you think of for a giraffe, which I think helps add to the design. These colours with the above layout would work really well I want to develop this design for potential use as the final cover. Although I like the positioning of the giraffe I do feel it works much stronger as as whole image than with its legs missing.


I wanted to experiment using something a little different and less obvious, so I choose green as its a fresh colour an relates to the nature. The colours don't work as successfully as the top 2, but I am going to keep in mind using an experimental colour as this may help my design stand out and not fade into the background colour.

1 comment:

  1. This is nice! I like what you did with the text and the clean style you have!

    I have also done a version for my portfolio, what do ya think?

    http://giraffe-pelly-me.chattleyworks.com/

    ReplyDelete