Wednesday 19 January 2011

Cultural Geometric Patterns

Indian Geometric patterns
The detail in Indian art is really beautiful, I could sit all day an look at the different patterns and lines used in it. This style of pattern is far from the type I shall be looking at however I still want to maintain a type of beauty and elegance to it similar to the Indian patterns. I also find with this style of pattern it is very adaptable across a range of different medias, which although I am only doing a collection of wallpaper, I feel its important for me to leave room for development of the brief.


African Geometric patterns
I love african patterns and I think its because of their fabrics that I love pattern work so much. Its so vibrant and earthy, its very traditional and varies through different tribes, which is really interesting creating very individual patterns. Most african patterns follow a very similar layout where is repeats across and then changes below each time. This could be a possible technique for me to use on my wallpapers, using multiple different patterns down the wall. I found this image on flicker and it was taken by, Sherrie thai.


Islamic Geometric Patterns
This was found on Iqbal Khatri's flicker sight, its the roof of a building surrounding a mosque and its really beautiful, the detail and pattern used with tiny tiles. I really like the use of natural colours hear set off by the use of blue, simplicity and clean cut shapes surrounding the intricate pattern is common in islamic architecture and many of their patterns are based on simple shapes such as squares or rectangles. Although I don't intend my designs to be this detailed, if any of them happen to take this route, I think its really important to not over complicate the design with colours and stick to no more than 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment